Technology (ICT): General Computing, Educational Technologies, Webdesign
General Computing Skills
- Windows: Used all versions from 3.1 to Vista, taught classes on using Windows NT, 2000 and XP
- MacOS: extensive use and support of 7.1-8.6; some support of MacOS X users
- Linux: distributions used: Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora Core
- Virtualization software: Parallels, VMWare
- Word processors: MS Word from 2.0 to 2007 [Review], 5.1 for MacOS (conducted training, designed reference materials); WordPerfect 4.2, 5.1 (lay out of academic articles), Win 9; Open Office Write (edited documents and translation); LaTex
- Text editors: Vim, PSPad (and other notepad replacements)
- Other office applications: PowerPoint (designed templates, conducted training); Excel (compiled and edited budgets, analyzed survey data); Outlook 2003, Thunderbird 1.0
- Browsers: Firefox 2.0 (including extensions); Flock, IE 5-7; Opera 9; Lynx
- Databases: Access 2000; Filemaker Pro 5; MySQL
- Photo/audio/video editing: Photoshop; PaintShop Pro; Corel Draw; IrfanView; Audacity; Audition; Total Recorder Pro; MS Windows Movie Maker; iMovie; Camtasia (created screencasts to assist users of webs [Sample])
- Utilities: EndNote 7-X.1; Putty; PSPad; RoboForms, ClipMate, Adobe Acrobat (authored complete CDs using Acrobat [Samples])
- Webdesign: FrontPage 97-2000; Nvu/Komposer; PSPad (see below for server-side CMS)
- Project design and management: MS Project, Basecamp, ZohoProject
- Advanced HTML/CSS skills: Designed websites, themes, taught classes on static webdesign.
- Basic PHP/SQL skills: modified Drupal themes and modules
Web DesignSee a complete list of designed Webs.
- Set up dynamic websites using CMS Systems, WordPress [Sample], Drupal [Sample 1] [Sample 2].
- Tested and reviewed CMS systems: Joomla, MediaWiki, TikiWiki, Polopoly
- Inspired and led development of TuiT (open source system for language teaching online) and WebEdit (simple CMS for Bohemica.com).
- Designed templates and themes for web pages (e.g. this site or Cadaad.org) working in (X)HTML and CSS and relying on a working familiarity with PHP.
- Contributed small modifications to Drupal modules [Sample].
Delivery of Computer Training
- Produced a series of training screencasts for academics [See list].
- Presented TechTalk, technology news and advice segment and podcast on Future Radio Norwich. [Podcast feed]
- Organised a PHP self-teaching group at UEA.
- Designed and delivered training sessions on the use of web for research for UEA.
- Designed reference materials for computer users (operating systems, word processing, HTML). [Sample 1] [Sample 2] [Sample 3] [Sample 4]
- Delivered formal computer training in the following topics: FrontPage, Beginner and Advanced Word, Word for Educational Materials Developers, PowerPoint, Windows NT, using local area networks for sharing information, using the internet for research and communication. [Sample]
- Acted as advisor to staff and system troubleshooter for the following systems/applications: MacOS 7.1 - X, MS Windows 3.x/9x/2000/XP; MS Word (Mac: 5.1, 98, Win: 97, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007), WordPerfect, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, PaintShop Pro, Ulead Photo Explorer, Total Recorder, EndNote. [See sample]
Education and Technology
Development of Systems and Familiarity with Technology
- Designed and coordinated the creation of a VLE/CMS system TuiT used at Bohemica.com. See www.bohemica.com/tuit or www.bohemica.com/publicaccess.
- Presented on use of ICT in education at two international conferences (see attached list) and at several in-house seminars for institutions and employers (SSEES, University of Glasgow). [Sample]
- Surveyed applications available for computer-assisted teaching including: WebCT, Blackboard, Moodle, Boddington, PebblePad, Questionmark, CD-ROM based language courses (such as Rosetta Stone), materials development software (such as HotPotatoes), etc.
- Created web pages using Notepad, FrontPage and a Content Management System (see Bohemica.com). Responsible for earlier versions of websites for several organizations (see www.chp.cz, www.itc-training.com, andragogika.ff.cuni.cz ).
- Created information sharing CD-ROMs for US Peace Corps using a variety of format (HTML, PDF, Envoy). [Sample]
- Digitized and collated video materials into video reports using Microsoft Movie Maker 2. Used by Peace Corps Albania. [Sample - CD only]
Use of ICT for Teaching and Learning
- Created courses using WebCT and Blackboard (see www.bohemica.com/edureading).
- Compiled and used course materials for web-assisted teaching of language, literature and culture at University of Glasgow (see www.bohemica.com/czechinglasgow) and Collegium Hieronymi Pragensis (www.chp.cz).
- Organized video conferences between students at University of Glasgow and professors at Charles University in Prague and UCL in London.
- Created and maintain a comprehensive site for learners of Czech language and culture Bohemica.com. A community of users has developed around the site over its 3 years of existence.
- Created and moderated several electronic discussion forums both listserv and BB-based (see www.bohemica.com/forum)
- Created test materials using HotPotatoes [Try sample quiz].