Languages and translation
General Language Skills
Czech and English
- Native-like competence in both languages (Czech learned first).
- Written and published both journalistic and academic works in both languages.
- Edited and proof-read texts in both languages.
- Interpreted and translated between the languages in both directions.
- Presented at conferences and conducted content instruction in both languages.
- Taught both languages and trained teachers in them.
- Researched and written on the differences between the two languages.
I also have varying levels of competence in other languages to which I have been exposed in the course of my work and study.
- Reading, listening and conversational fluency: Russian (have taught classes in Russian, lived with a Russian speaking family, translated from Russian)
- Basic reading skills: French, German, Albanian (can read short texts with the help of a dictionary, can navigate websites)
- Basic survival skills: Albanian, Romanian, Spanish, French, German (in order of recency of exposure; can quickly establish reasonable level of competence upon arrival in country)
- Knowledge of grammatical system: Chinese, Swahili, Runyankore, Arabic, Hungarian, Ancient Egyptian (can identify salient grammatical features of these languages as a result of formal instruction and/or informal exposure; also received basic training in general language typology)
- Acted as in-house translator for the Transversal Corporation, translating official web pages and software interface.
- Taught intermediate and advanced translation from and into Czech at University of Glasgow .
- Translated into Czech George Lakoff’s Women, Fire and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal About the Mind – published 2006.
- Translated into Czech political and cultural commentary published in Lidové Noviny, a leading Czech mass-circulation daily.
- Translated into Czech materials for Amnesty International Czech Republic.
- Translated into Czech official documents for CORUS, an investment management company.
- Translated both into Czech and English miscellaneous private and business correspondence, and other documents (including academic abstracts); reviewed and edited translations of same.
- Translated both into Czech and English internal and official documents for Peace Corps Czech Republic.
- Reviewed translations of computer games into Czech for Cinemax (www.cinemax.cz) and Babelfish.
- Interpreted for a workshop held by the GLE in London for Czech officials applying for EU funding.
- Interpreted at formal occasions most recently for a Glasgow Rangers football team formal dinner.
- Interpreted and translated documents for Czech Roma families seeking political asylum in the UK .
- Translated and interpreted speeches for Peace Corps Czech Republic Country Director and the US Ambassador to the Czech Republic.
- Participated in an international terminology and lexicography project as part-time manager of computer center at Department of Translation Studies at Charles University.